Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pride and Prejudice

I was walking through a bookshop earlier, browsing, looking at interesting books to buy. I've been going through a book drought so to speak, and my previous excursions to book stores left me empty handed, and empty minded. I feel like I should read more serious stuff, but fact is at the end of the day I'm just too tired for anything of that sort.

Anyway, I picked up this book. It's a continuation of some sort to Pride and Prejudice, not by Jane Austen obviously, cos she's been dead for almost 200 years but some contemporary author that I can't remember. I started reading it cos I was curious how it all went down after the whole happily after. And if it had the same style of writing as Austen's, which it didn't. But more so, the protaganist (Mary Bennet) was talking about Elizabeth, and how her marriage and life as Mrs Darcy hadn't been easy.

GASP! NO!

I stopped reading immediately. How could this cracked up person that came out of nowhere and knows nothing about Elizabeth and Darcy write something like that!?

Okay, that was a bit much, and I did pick up the book again. And yes, she wasn't happy. Apparently Darcy and Bingley all had mistresses, while Jane and Lizzy all turned vapid and shallow and talked like they're in 2009, but was trying to sound like they were back in the 19th century.

Anyway, my point is that I was a bit sad to see my fantasy, my happily ever after, the gorgeous Mr Darcy end up this way. Maybe he was redeemed by the end of it, I don't know. I didn't finish it or even sneaked a peek at the last page. I was too disturbed at this point. I like my fantasy to remain where it was before, Mr Darcy was a good man, which I guess makes a good husband and a good husband will naturally have a happy wife.

But now, I don't know if I will ever be the same again.



Oh stop being so dramatic.

By the way, I really like the recent Pride and Prejudice movie with Keira Knightley, and Darcy is absolutely spot on, at least in my head la. I can't stand watching the BBC version and it's all cos of Jane. She's suppose to be the good looking one, but I don't know if it's the hair or the outfit, she's just not how the book describes her. I don't like Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow, I prefer Kate Beckinsale's with Mark Strong as Mr Knightley. I like the 1995 version of Persuasion too.

No comments:

Post a Comment