Friday, May 22, 2009

All Roads Lead to Vampires

I've been reading this book called "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova, and that in it itself is great cos it means my book drought has ended. Finally, something I can sink my teeth into that I haven't sunk my teeth in like 20 times before.

On second thoughts, that sounded gross.

Anyway, it seemed all literary and intelligent, and then I got to the part where the bureaucrat shows the fang marks on his neck. How very True Blood. And I've realised what a barrage of vampire fiction there is. (Not that I've just realised it, cos I HAVE realised it before. More like it's the first time I'm writing it all down, so y'know, I have to write an introduction to get the facts going)

There's Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I've read but it was years ago and I can't say I remember anything about it now. There's the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series, which I got from my room-mate back in uni. Very sexy. The top vampire dude is called Jean-something, not Jean-Luc cos that would be too Star Trek-ish, and I've wiki-ed it, and he's called Jean-Claude. I've also realised from the Wikipedia article that the series is on-going. More hot vampire, werewolf, wereleopard and were-whatever sex then!

And then there's Twilight, and OMG that book sucks. I know it's got massive crazy fans, but that Bella, and the writing, I just can't stand it. The narrative is soooo weepy. I finished it cos I had to see what the fuss is all about, and maybe it improved as the story developed, but it did not. Still weepy, still too juvenile for my taste, and it turned me off from reading the other three books in the series. Fine, I'm not a 16 year old girl but at least the movie was better. I can't hear Bella's thoughts, and THAT is a good thing.

About The Historian, don't get me wrong with all my bashing of vampire fiction cos of Twilight. I reckon it's a wonderful book. I've only read til page 98 and I'm looking forward to see how it all goes. I guess The Historian is more my cup of tea than Twilight. Oh the joy of not being 16 anymore. By the way, the cover below is actually not the book I have, mine's black and red. But a white cover works better here.


Finally, here are the vampire TV shows and movies that I can remember watching. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which was awesome. So after Buffy comes Angel, which too is awesome. And again, True Blood. I find the sex scene in the graveyard kinda gross. Like, he's been in the ground, naked, and you have intercourse with all that dirt? Euw.

Movies: Interview With the Vampire, Van Helsing, Underworld, Blade, Rise (it's got Lucy Liu. I remembered that cos it was one of those movies that I watched cos it's there even though I had no intention of watching it, and I remembered it. WHY?), Night Watch and Day Watch (I read the books as well. Well, Night Watch anyway, and then I watched Day Watch, and don't feel like reading the book anymore), Thirty Days of Nights, and of course, Twilight.

Wow, that's a lot of vampire. Whatever happened to me and getting involved in serious stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment